1 Safety First: This is a recreational event. We are here primarily to enjoy each others company. Do not push your training limits or violate safe practice. The Florida Freeshafters recommend that no competitors exceed the recreational diving limit of 130ft or your training experience. Please Keep Safety First!
2 Eligibility: Both men and women divers are welcome to participate. Divers under the age of 18 MUST have a signed release from their legal guardian. All spearfishing competitors must possess a valid Florida saltwater fishing license.
3 Junior Division: Divers under 18 years old are welcome to compete in the tournament. They are also entered into the competition for the top Junior shooter. Junior competitors must be certified divers and have a signed release from their parent or guardian. Just like the Adult participants, all Junior participants should not exceed any depth or dive in any conditions that they are not trained or certified to dive. All Junior shooters should be properly supervised by an Adult.
4 Registration: To properly register for this tournament, mail the completed registration form along with the waiver & payment to address supplied on the registration form or, if you wish, registration is available online at www.floridafreeshafters.com. The online registration gateway accepts payment via credit cards. All mail in registrations must be postmarked no later than May 11th. All registrations must be completed by this date to receive early registration discount price! There will be a Kickoff party at the Obriens Irish Pub 701 W. Lumsden Rd Brandon 33511 on May 11, 2011 from 6:30-9:00pm.. Registrations will be accepted in person at this great event.
***Special Note: All participants who register prior to midnight May 11, 2012 will be entitled to a refund of their entry fee, less $15.00, along with their tournament shirt in the unlikely event this tournament is postponed or cancelled for any reason including weather.***
5. Late Registration: If you wish to register after May 11th, you may still do so online, until midnight on May 18, 2012, at www.floridafreeshafters.com .
6. Last Chance Paper Registration: This will be available only on May 18th 5:30pm-7:00pm, in person, at Obriens Irish Pub 701 W. Lumsden Rd Brandon 33511, or at one of the satellite Captain’s Meetings to be announced. If turning in a “last chance” registration for someone on your boat, please make sure every part of the Waiver and Registration form is properly and completely filled out. (No Exceptions!)
7. Mandatory Diver Check-In: All Divers are required to check-in (or be checked in by a Representative Diver of their boat) and confirm registration on May 18th 5:30pm-7:00pm, one of two (2) ways: By telephone: you may call (800) 824-2615 ext. 157 after 5:30 on May 18th. In person: at Obriens Irish Pub 701 W. Lumsden Rd, Brandon, 33511or at one of the satellite Diver Check-In points. Divers will receive all necessary information to participate in the tournament at the Diver Check-In.
8. Captain’s Meeting: Begins at the conclusion of Diver Check-In at approximately 7:15pm. While not mandatory, this is an opportunity to get any last minute rule changes, the official tournament time and verify entry paperwork.
9. Official Entry: No diver is officially entered into the tournament until the Florida Freeshafters have received a properly filled out Waiver, Registration, & all fees are paid. Electronic confirmation will be sent to the e-mail provided on the participant registration.
10. Spearfishing Tournament Dive Day: The Dive Day is Saturday May 19, 2012. You may leave any time after the Diver Check-In and dive from sunrise until official sunset Saturday.
11. Weigh-in: The weigh-in will take place on Sunday, May 21, 2012 at Obrien’s Irish Pub 701 W. Lumsden Rd. Brandon, FL 33511. Phone # is 813-661-9688 Weigh in starts at 10:30AM. All participant’s fish must be in the designated weigh-in line no later than 12:00PM (Noon), No Exceptions. Bring your coolers to the back of the designated weigh-in line.
12. All fish: All participants must follow and abide by all local, State and Federal laws. All fish must be legally taken and landed by the diver who is awarded the points, and brought to the designated weigh-in line before 12:00pm. Power heading of fish is not allowed. The designated weigh-in line will constitute the physical location for the close of the tournament. All fish must be physically in the weigh-in line by 12:00 PM. All competitors’ fish must be presorted, fully and properly gutted, on individual shooter stringers, and iced. All fish turned in, must be in whole, gutted condition, and have all appearances of freshness. Fish that are shorter than Federal/State size regulations or that do not appear to be well iced and look fresh as per the judgment of the tournament Weigh Master, cannot be weighed, or if already weighed it will be disqualified. Only one participant of a tournament boat is required to weigh-in the fish for any fellow members of his boat.
13. Eligible fish: Categories, size and number that will be allowed are: NO GAGS
Category Minimum Size Maximum Number
Grouper _________________20” (Red), 16” Scamp, 22” (Others) Overall (3) Groupers
Snapper _________________12” (Gray), Mutton & Cubera 16” Overall (5) Snappers
Hogfish _________________12” to Fork ______ (5) Hogfish
Sheephead/Trigger ________12” Overall Triggerfish 14” to Fork (5) Sheep/Trigger
Cobia/cuda ______________ Cobia 33”to Fork, Cuda 24” to Fork (1) Cobia/Cuda
Pelagics: ________________See Below ______ (1) Pelagic Category
Amberjack 30” to Fork; Permit 22” to Fork;
Kingfish, Wahoo, African Pompano (all) 24” to Fork
*Lionfish _______________ Any *Not a category fish. ______ (Unlimited) Lionfish
Florida Freeshafters Officers
President — Pat Bennett / Vice President – Steve Sanders
Secretary – Ryan Brown / Treasurer – Mike Weinard
You must be logged in to post a comment.